Monday, November 2, 2009

I just deleted all my old posts. Welcome to my "new" blog.

Yes, I just deleted all of 2 posts on this blog from June that were literally about nothing and me just experimenting with blogging. So let's get started on this journey together.

Every night lately I've been watching "The Holiday" and I just can't seem to get enough. I love this movie, but that's not even the point. I think that I love the character of Arthur Abbott the most. The little old man that has so much to say about the golden Hollywood era - my favorite. But he's also one of these old esteemed movie writers, something I still aspire to be deeply. Anyway, I did a little research on the man that played Arthur Abbott.

The man's name is Eli Wallach. Born in Brooklyn in 1915. He starred in movies such as:
"How The West Was Won"
"Genghis Khan"
"The Magnificent Seven"
and
"The Godfather III"

This man was featured in movies starring Clark Gable, Gregory Peck, James Stewart, George Peppard, Debbie Reynolds, Steve McQueen, Marilyn Monroe and Clint Eastwood. These people are regarded as some of the greats and the standards for acting. But why not Mr. Wallach?

He has played a hitman, a romancer, a Mexican bandit, an Italian, a cowboy and a kidnapper. This man has been nominated for 4 Emmys, winning one of those, nominated for a Golden Globe, won a BAFTA Film Award, won a Tony and is regarded as one of the finest method actors.

I am now making it my mission to get caught up on the movies that this man has been in. Anyone with that much spunk in them after 90 years of life has got to be pretty incredible. He has also written an autobiography entitled "The Good, The Bad And Me: In My Anecdotage."

After learning about this, I think his role as Arthur Abbott in "The Holiday" is perfectly fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment